sabato 18 gennaio 2014

WST/10/04. § 10. William Shakespeare Teatro Completo: 2°. Antony and Cleopatra: d) Act IV.




------

ACT IV
SCENE I. Before Alexandria. OCTAVIUS CAESAR's camp.

    Enter OCTAVIUS CAESAR, AGRIPPA, and MECAENAS, with his Army; OCTAVIUS CAESAR reading a letter

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    He calls me boy; and chides, as he had power
    To beat me out of Egypt; my messenger
    He hath whipp'd with rods; dares me to personal combat,
    Caesar to Antony: let the old ruffian know
    I have many other ways to die; meantime
    Laugh at his challenge.

MECAENAS

    Caesar must think,
    When one so great begins to rage, he's hunted
    Even to falling. Give him no breath, but now
    Make boot of his distraction: never anger
    Made good guard for itself.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Let our best heads
    Know, that to-morrow the last of many battles
    We mean to fight: within our files there are,
    Of those that served Mark Antony but late,
    Enough to fetch him in. See it done:
    And feast the army; we have store to do't,
    And they have earn'd the waste. Poor Antony!

    Exeunt

SCENE II. Alexandria. CLEOPATRA's palace.

    Enter MARK ANTONY, CLEOPATRA, DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS, CHARMIAN, IRAS, ALEXAS, with others

MARK ANTONY

    He will not fight with me, Domitius.

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    No.

MARK ANTONY

    Why should he not?

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    He thinks, being twenty times of better fortune,
    He is twenty men to one.

MARK ANTONY

    To-morrow, soldier,
    By sea and land I'll fight: or I will live,
    Or bathe my dying honour in the blood
    Shall make it live again. Woo't thou fight well?

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    I'll strike, and cry 'Take all.'

MARK ANTONY

    Well said; come on.
    Call forth my household servants: let's to-night
    Be bounteous at our meal.

    Enter three or four Servitors
    Give me thy hand,
    Thou hast been rightly honest;--so hast thou;--
    Thou,--and thou,--and thou:--you have served me well,
    And kings have been your fellows.

CLEOPATRA

    [Aside to DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS] What means this?

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    [Aside to CLEOPATRA] 'Tis one of those odd
    tricks which sorrow shoots
    Out of the mind.

MARK ANTONY

    And thou art honest too.
    I wish I could be made so many men,
    And all of you clapp'd up together in
    An Antony, that I might do you service
    So good as you have done.

All

    The gods forbid!

MARK ANTONY

    Well, my good fellows, wait on me to-night:
    Scant not my cups; and make as much of me
    As when mine empire was your fellow too,
    And suffer'd my command.

CLEOPATRA

    [Aside to DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS] What does he mean?

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    [Aside to CLEOPATRA] To make his followers weep.

MARK ANTONY

    Tend me to-night;
    May be it is the period of your duty:
    Haply you shall not see me more; or if,
    A mangled shadow: perchance to-morrow
    You'll serve another master. I look on you
    As one that takes his leave. Mine honest friends,
    I turn you not away; but, like a master
    Married to your good service, stay till death:
    Tend me to-night two hours, I ask no more,
    And the gods yield you for't!

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    What mean you, sir,
    To give them this discomfort? Look, they weep;
    And I, an ass, am onion-eyed: for shame,
    Transform us not to women.

MARK ANTONY

    Ho, ho, ho!
    Now the witch take me, if I meant it thus!
    Grace grow where those drops fall!
    My hearty friends,
    You take me in too dolorous a sense;
    For I spake to you for your comfort; did desire you
    To burn this night with torches: know, my hearts,
    I hope well of to-morrow; and will lead you
    Where rather I'll expect victorious life
    Than death and honour. Let's to supper, come,
    And drown consideration.

    Exeunt

SCENE III. The same. Before the palace.

    Enter two Soldiers to their guard

First Soldier

    Brother, good night: to-morrow is the day.

Second Soldier

    It will determine one way: fare you well.
    Heard you of nothing strange about the streets?

First Soldier

    Nothing. What news?

Second Soldier

    Belike 'tis but a rumour. Good night to you.

First Soldier

    Well, sir, good night.

    Enter two other Soldiers

Second Soldier

    Soldiers, have careful watch.

Third Soldier

    And you. Good night, good night.

    They place themselves in every corner of the stage

Fourth Soldier

    Here we: and if to-morrow
    Our navy thrive, I have an absolute hope
    Our landmen will stand up.

Third Soldier

    'Tis a brave army,
    And full of purpose.

    Music of the hautboys as under the stage

Fourth Soldier

    Peace! what noise?

First Soldier

    List, list!

Second Soldier

    Hark!

First Soldier

    Music i' the air.

Third Soldier

    Under the earth.

Fourth Soldier

    It signs well, does it not?

Third Soldier

    No.

First Soldier

    Peace, I say!
    What should this mean?

Second Soldier

    'Tis the god Hercules, whom Antony loved,
    Now leaves him.

First Soldier

    Walk; let's see if other watchmen
    Do hear what we do?

    They advance to another post

Second Soldier

    How now, masters!

All

    [Speaking together] How now!
    How now! do you hear this?

First Soldier

    Ay; is't not strange?

Third Soldier

    Do you hear, masters? do you hear?

First Soldier

    Follow the noise so far as we have quarter;
    Let's see how it will give off.

All

    Content. 'Tis strange.

    Exeunt

SCENE IV. The same. A room in the palace.

    Enter MARK ANTONY and CLEOPATRA, CHARMIAN, and others attending

MARK ANTONY

    Eros! mine armour, Eros!

CLEOPATRA

    Sleep a little.

MARK ANTONY

    No, my chuck. Eros, come; mine armour, Eros!

    Enter EROS with armour
    Come good fellow, put mine iron on:
    If fortune be not ours to-day, it is
    Because we brave her: come.

CLEOPATRA

    Nay, I'll help too.
    What's this for?

MARK ANTONY

    Ah, let be, let be! thou art
    The armourer of my heart: false, false; this, this.

CLEOPATRA

    Sooth, la, I'll help: thus it must be.

MARK ANTONY

    Well, well;
    We shall thrive now. Seest thou, my good fellow?
    Go put on thy defences.

EROS

    Briefly, sir.

CLEOPATRA

    Is not this buckled well?

MARK ANTONY

    Rarely, rarely:
    He that unbuckles this, till we do please
    To daff't for our repose, shall hear a storm.
    Thou fumblest, Eros; and my queen's a squire
    More tight at this than thou: dispatch. O love,
    That thou couldst see my wars to-day, and knew'st
    The royal occupation! thou shouldst see
    A workman in't.

    Enter an armed Soldier
    Good morrow to thee; welcome:
    Thou look'st like him that knows a warlike charge:
    To business that we love we rise betime,
    And go to't with delight.

Soldier

    A thousand, sir,
    Early though't be, have on their riveted trim,
    And at the port expect you.

    Shout. Trumpets flourish

    Enter Captains and Soldiers

Captain

    The morn is fair. Good morrow, general.

All

    Good morrow, general.

MARK ANTONY

    'Tis well blown, lads:
    This morning, like the spirit of a youth
    That means to be of note, begins betimes.
    So, so; come, give me that: this way; well said.
    Fare thee well, dame, whate'er becomes of me:
    This is a soldier's kiss: rebukeable

    Kisses her
    And worthy shameful cheque it were, to stand
    On more mechanic compliment; I'll leave thee
    Now, like a man of steel. You that will fight,
    Follow me close; I'll bring you to't. Adieu.

    Exeunt MARK ANTONY, EROS, Captains, and Soldiers

CHARMIAN

    Please you, retire to your chamber.

CLEOPATRA

    Lead me.
    He goes forth gallantly. That he and Caesar might
    Determine this great war in single fight!
    Then Antony,--but now--Well, on.

    Exeunt

SCENE V. Alexandria. MARK ANTONY's camp.

    Trumpets sound. Enter MARK ANTONY and EROS; a Soldier meeting them

Soldier

    The gods make this a happy day to Antony!

MARK ANTONY

    Would thou and those thy scars had once prevail'd
    To make me fight at land!

Soldier

    Hadst thou done so,
    The kings that have revolted, and the soldier
    That has this morning left thee, would have still
    Follow'd thy heels.

MARK ANTONY

    Who's gone this morning?

Soldier

    Who!
    One ever near thee: call for Enobarbus,
    He shall not hear thee; or from Caesar's camp
    Say 'I am none of thine.'

MARK ANTONY

    What say'st thou?

Soldier

    Sir,
    He is with Caesar.

EROS

    Sir, his chests and treasure
    He has not with him.

MARK ANTONY

    Is he gone?

Soldier

    Most certain.

MARK ANTONY

    Go, Eros, send his treasure after; do it;
    Detain no jot, I charge thee: write to him--
    I will subscribe--gentle adieus and greetings;
    Say that I wish he never find more cause
    To change a master. O, my fortunes have
    Corrupted honest men! Dispatch.--Enobarbus!

    Exeunt

SCENE VI. Alexandria. OCTAVIUS CAESAR's camp.

    Flourish. Enter OCTAVIUS CAESAR, AGRIPPA, with DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS, and others

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Go forth, Agrippa, and begin the fight:
    Our will is Antony be took alive;
    Make it so known.

AGRIPPA

    Caesar, I shall.

    Exit

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    The time of universal peace is near:
    Prove this a prosperous day, the three-nook'd world
    Shall bear the olive freely.

    Enter a Messenger

Messenger

    Antony
    Is come into the field.

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    Go charge Agrippa
    Plant those that have revolted in the van,
    That Antony may seem to spend his fury
    Upon himself.

    Exeunt all but DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    Alexas did revolt; and went to Jewry on
    Affairs of Antony; there did persuade
    Great Herod to incline himself to Caesar,
    And leave his master Antony: for this pains
    Caesar hath hang'd him. Canidius and the rest
    That fell away have entertainment, but
    No honourable trust. I have done ill;
    Of which I do accuse myself so sorely,
    That I will joy no more.

    Enter a Soldier of CAESAR's

Soldier

    Enobarbus, Antony
    Hath after thee sent all thy treasure, with
    His bounty overplus: the messenger
    Came on my guard; and at thy tent is now
    Unloading of his mules.

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    I give it you.

Soldier

    Mock not, Enobarbus.
    I tell you true: best you safed the bringer
    Out of the host; I must attend mine office,
    Or would have done't myself. Your emperor
    Continues still a Jove.

    Exit

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    I am alone the villain of the earth,
    And feel I am so most. O Antony,
    Thou mine of bounty, how wouldst thou have paid
    My better service, when my turpitude
    Thou dost so crown with gold! This blows my heart:
    If swift thought break it not, a swifter mean
    Shall outstrike thought: but thought will do't, I feel.
    I fight against thee! No: I will go seek
    Some ditch wherein to die; the foul'st best fits
    My latter part of life.

    Exit

SCENE VII. Field of battle between the camps.

    Alarum. Drums and trumpets. Enter AGRIPPA and others

AGRIPPA

    Retire, we have engaged ourselves too far:
    Caesar himself has work, and our oppression
    Exceeds what we expected.

    Exeunt

    Alarums. Enter MARK ANTONY and SCARUS wounded

SCARUS

    O my brave emperor, this is fought indeed!
    Had we done so at first, we had droven them home
    With clouts about their heads.

MARK ANTONY

    Thou bleed'st apace.

SCARUS

    I had a wound here that was like a T,
    But now 'tis made an H.

MARK ANTONY

    They do retire.

SCARUS

    We'll beat 'em into bench-holes: I have yet
    Room for six scotches more.

    Enter EROS

EROS

    They are beaten, sir, and our advantage serves
    For a fair victory.

SCARUS

    Let us score their backs,
    And snatch 'em up, as we take hares, behind:
    'Tis sport to maul a runner.

MARK ANTONY

    I will reward thee
    Once for thy spritely comfort, and ten-fold
    For thy good valour. Come thee on.

SCARUS

    I'll halt after.

    Exeunt

SCENE VIII. Under the walls of Alexandria.

    Alarum. Enter MARK ANTONY, in a march; SCARUS, with others

MARK ANTONY

    We have beat him to his camp: run one before,
    And let the queen know of our gests. To-morrow,
    Before the sun shall see 's, we'll spill the blood
    That has to-day escaped. I thank you all;
    For doughty-handed are you, and have fought
    Not as you served the cause, but as 't had been
    Each man's like mine; you have shown all Hectors.
    Enter the city, clip your wives, your friends,
    Tell them your feats; whilst they with joyful tears
    Wash the congealment from your wounds, and kiss
    The honour'd gashes whole.

    To SCARUS
    Give me thy hand

    Enter CLEOPATRA, attended
    To this great fairy I'll commend thy acts,
    Make her thanks bless thee.

    To CLEOPATRA
    O thou day o' the world,
    Chain mine arm'd neck; leap thou, attire and all,
    Through proof of harness to my heart, and there
    Ride on the pants triumphing!

CLEOPATRA

    Lord of lords!
    O infinite virtue, comest thou smiling from
    The world's great snare uncaught?

MARK ANTONY

    My nightingale,
    We have beat them to their beds. What, girl!
    though grey
    Do something mingle with our younger brown, yet ha' we
    A brain that nourishes our nerves, and can
    Get goal for goal of youth. Behold this man;
    Commend unto his lips thy favouring hand:
    Kiss it, my warrior: he hath fought to-day
    As if a god, in hate of mankind, had
    Destroy'd in such a shape.

CLEOPATRA

    I'll give thee, friend,
    An armour all of gold; it was a king's.

MARK ANTONY

    He has deserved it, were it carbuncled
    Like holy Phoebus' car. Give me thy hand:
    Through Alexandria make a jolly march;
    Bear our hack'd targets like the men that owe them:
    Had our great palace the capacity
    To camp this host, we all would sup together,
    And drink carouses to the next day's fate,
    Which promises royal peril. Trumpeters,
    With brazen din blast you the city's ear;
    Make mingle with rattling tabourines;
    That heaven and earth may strike their sounds together,
    Applauding our approach.

    Exeunt

SCENE IX. OCTAVIUS CAESAR's camp.

    Sentinels at their post

First Soldier

    If we be not relieved within this hour,
    We must return to the court of guard: the night
    Is shiny; and they say we shall embattle
    By the second hour i' the morn.

Second Soldier

    This last day was
    A shrewd one to's.

    Enter DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    O, bear me witness, night,--

Third Soldier

    What man is this?

Second Soldier

    Stand close, and list him.

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    Be witness to me, O thou blessed moon,
    When men revolted shall upon record
    Bear hateful memory, poor Enobarbus did
    Before thy face repent!

First Soldier

    Enobarbus!

Third Soldier

    Peace!
    Hark further.

DOMITIUS ENOBARBUS

    O sovereign mistress of true melancholy,
    The poisonous damp of night disponge upon me,
    That life, a very rebel to my will,
    May hang no longer on me: throw my heart
    Against the flint and hardness of my fault:
    Which, being dried with grief, will break to powder,
    And finish all foul thoughts. O Antony,
    Nobler than my revolt is infamous,
    Forgive me in thine own particular;
    But let the world rank me in register
    A master-leaver and a fugitive:
    O Antony! O Antony!

    Dies

Second Soldier

    Let's speak To him.

First Soldier

    Let's hear him, for the things he speaks
    May concern Caesar.

Third Soldier

    Let's do so. But he sleeps.

First Soldier

    Swoons rather; for so bad a prayer as his
    Was never yet for sleep.

Second Soldier

    Go we to him.

Third Soldier

    Awake, sir, awake; speak to us.

Second Soldier

    Hear you, sir?

First Soldier

    The hand of death hath raught him.

    Drums afar off
    Hark! the drums
    Demurely wake the sleepers. Let us bear him
    To the court of guard; he is of note: our hour
    Is fully out.

Third Soldier

    Come on, then;
    He may recover yet.

    Exeunt with the body

SCENE X. Between the two camps.

    Enter MARK ANTONY and SCARUS, with their Army

MARK ANTONY

    Their preparation is to-day by sea;
    We please them not by land.

SCARUS

    For both, my lord.

MARK ANTONY

    I would they'ld fight i' the fire or i' the air;
    We'ld fight there too. But this it is; our foot
    Upon the hills adjoining to the city
    Shall stay with us: order for sea is given;
    They have put forth the haven
    Where their appointment we may best discover,
    And look on their endeavour.

    Exeunt

SCENE XI. Another part of the same.

    Enter OCTAVIUS CAESAR, and his Army

OCTAVIUS CAESAR

    But being charged, we will be still by land,
    Which, as I take't, we shall; for his best force
    Is forth to man his galleys. To the vales,
    And hold our best advantage.

    Exeunt

SCENE XII. Another part of the same.

    Enter MARK ANTONY and SCARUS

MARK ANTONY

    Yet they are not join'd: where yond pine
    does stand,
    I shall discover all: I'll bring thee word
    Straight, how 'tis like to go.

    Exit

SCARUS

    Swallows have built
    In Cleopatra's sails their nests: the augurers
    Say they know not, they cannot tell; look grimly,
    And dare not speak their knowledge. Antony
    Is valiant, and dejected; and, by starts,
    His fretted fortunes give him hope, and fear,
    Of what he has, and has not.

    Alarum afar off, as at a sea-fight

    Re-enter MARK ANTONY

MARK ANTONY

    All is lost;
    This foul Egyptian hath betrayed me:
    My fleet hath yielded to the foe; and yonder
    They cast their caps up and carouse together
    Like friends long lost. Triple-turn'd whore!
    'tis thou
    Hast sold me to this novice; and my heart
    Makes only wars on thee. Bid them all fly;
    For when I am revenged upon my charm,
    I have done all. Bid them all fly; begone.

    Exit SCARUS
    O sun, thy uprise shall I see no more:
    Fortune and Antony part here; even here
    Do we shake hands. All come to this? The hearts
    That spaniel'd me at heels, to whom I gave
    Their wishes, do discandy, melt their sweets
    On blossoming Caesar; and this pine is bark'd,
    That overtopp'd them all. Betray'd I am:
    O this false soul of Egypt! this grave charm,--
    Whose eye beck'd forth my wars, and call'd them home;
    Whose bosom was my crownet, my chief end,--
    Like a right gipsy, hath, at fast and loose,
    Beguiled me to the very heart of loss.
    What, Eros, Eros!

    Enter CLEOPATRA
    Ah, thou spell! Avaunt!

CLEOPATRA

    Why is my lord enraged against his love?

MARK ANTONY

    Vanish, or I shall give thee thy deserving,
    And blemish Caesar's triumph. Let him take thee,
    And hoist thee up to the shouting plebeians:
    Follow his chariot, like the greatest spot
    Of all thy sex; most monster-like, be shown
    For poor'st diminutives, for doits; and let
    Patient Octavia plough thy visage up
    With her prepared nails.

    Exit CLEOPATRA
    'Tis well thou'rt gone,
    If it be well to live; but better 'twere
    Thou fell'st into my fury, for one death
    Might have prevented many. Eros, ho!
    The shirt of Nessus is upon me: teach me,
    Alcides, thou mine ancestor, thy rage:
    Let me lodge Lichas on the horns o' the moon;
    And with those hands, that grasp'd the heaviest club,
    Subdue my worthiest self. The witch shall die:
    To the young Roman boy she hath sold me, and I fall
    Under this plot; she dies for't. Eros, ho!

    Exit

SCENE XIII. Alexandria. Cleopatra's palace.

    Enter CLEOPATRA, CHARMIAN, IRAS, and MARDIAN

CLEOPATRA

    Help me, my women! O, he is more mad
    Than Telamon for his shield; the boar of Thessaly
    Was never so emboss'd.

CHARMIAN

    To the monument!
    There lock yourself, and send him word you are dead.
    The soul and body rive not more in parting
    Than greatness going off.

CLEOPATRA

    To the monument!
    Mardian, go tell him I have slain myself;
    Say, that the last I spoke was 'Antony,'
    And word it, prithee, piteously: hence, Mardian,
    And bring me how he takes my death.
    To the monument!

    Exeunt

SCENE XIV. The same. Another room.

    Enter MARK ANTONY and EROS

MARK ANTONY

    Eros, thou yet behold'st me?

EROS

    Ay, noble lord.

MARK ANTONY

    Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish;
    A vapour sometime like a bear or lion,
    A tower'd citadel, a pendent rock,
    A forked mountain, or blue promontory
    With trees upon't, that nod unto the world,
    And mock our eyes with air: thou hast seen
    these signs;
    They are black vesper's pageants.

EROS

    Ay, my lord,

MARK ANTONY

    That which is now a horse, even with a thought
    The rack dislimns, and makes it indistinct,
    As water is in water.

EROS

    It does, my lord.

MARK ANTONY

    My good knave Eros, now thy captain is
    Even such a body: here I am Antony:
    Yet cannot hold this visible shape, my knave.
    I made these wars for Egypt: and the queen,--
    Whose heart I thought I had, for she had mine;
    Which whilst it was mine had annex'd unto't
    A million more, now lost,--she, Eros, has
    Pack'd cards with Caesar, and false-play'd my glory
    Unto an enemy's triumph.
    Nay, weep not, gentle Eros; there is left us
    Ourselves to end ourselves.

    Enter MARDIAN
    O! thy vile lady!
    She has robb'd me of my sword.

MARDIAN

    No, Antony;
    My mistress loved thee, and her fortunes mingled
    With thine entirely.

MARK ANTONY

    Hence, saucy eunuch; peace!
    She hath betray'd me and shall die the death.

MARDIAN

    Death of one person can be paid but once,
    And that she has discharged: what thou wouldst do
    Is done unto thy hand: the last she spake
    Was 'Antony! most noble Antony!'
    Then in the midst a tearing groan did break
    The name of Antony; it was divided
    Between her heart and lips: she render'd life,
    Thy name so buried in her.

MARK ANTONY

    Dead, then?

MARDIAN

    Dead.

MARK ANTONY

    Unarm, Eros; the long day's task is done,
    And we must sleep.

    To MARDIAN
    That thou depart'st hence safe,
    Does pay thy labour richly; go.

    Exit MARDIAN
    Off, pluck off:
    The seven-fold shield of Ajax cannot keep
    The battery from my heart. O, cleave, my sides!
    Heart, once be stronger than thy continent,
    Crack thy frail case! Apace, Eros, apace.
    No more a soldier: bruised pieces, go;
    You have been nobly borne. From me awhile.

    Exit EROS
    I will o'ertake thee, Cleopatra, and
    Weep for my pardon. So it must be, for now
    All length is torture: since the torch is out,
    Lie down, and stray no farther: now all labour
    Mars what it does; yea, very force entangles
    Itself with strength: seal then, and all is done.
    Eros!--I come, my queen:--Eros!--Stay for me:
    Where souls do couch on flowers, we'll hand in hand,
    And with our sprightly port make the ghosts gaze:
    Dido and her AEneas shall want troops,
    And all the haunt be ours. Come, Eros, Eros!

    Re-enter EROS

EROS

    What would my lord?

MARK ANTONY

    Since Cleopatra died,
    I have lived in such dishonour, that the gods
    Detest my baseness. I, that with my sword
    Quarter'd the world, and o'er green Neptune's back
    With ships made cities, condemn myself to lack
    The courage of a woman; less noble mind
    Than she which by her death our Caesar tells
    'I am conqueror of myself.' Thou art sworn, Eros,
    That, when the exigent should come, which now
    Is come indeed, when I should see behind me
    The inevitable prosecution of
    Disgrace and horror, that, on my command,
    Thou then wouldst kill me: do't; the time is come:
    Thou strikest not me, 'tis Caesar thou defeat'st.
    Put colour in thy cheek.

EROS

    The gods withhold me!
    Shall I do that which all the Parthian darts,
    Though enemy, lost aim, and could not?

MARK ANTONY

    Eros,
    Wouldst thou be window'd in great Rome and see
    Thy master thus with pleach'd arms, bending down
    His corrigible neck, his face subdued
    To penetrative shame, whilst the wheel'd seat
    Of fortunate Caesar, drawn before him, branded
    His baseness that ensued?

EROS

    I would not see't.

MARK ANTONY

    Come, then; for with a wound I must be cured.
    Draw that thy honest sword, which thou hast worn
    Most useful for thy country.

EROS

    O, sir, pardon me!

MARK ANTONY

    When I did make thee free, sworest thou not then
    To do this when I bade thee? Do it at once;
    Or thy precedent services are all
    But accidents unpurposed. Draw, and come.

EROS

    Turn from me, then, that noble countenance,
    Wherein the worship of the whole world lies.

MARK ANTONY

    Lo thee!

    Turning from him

EROS

    My sword is drawn.

MARK ANTONY

    Then let it do at once
    The thing why thou hast drawn it.

EROS

    My dear master,
    My captain, and my emperor, let me say,
    Before I strike this bloody stroke, farewell.

MARK ANTONY

    'Tis said, man; and farewell.

EROS

    Farewell, great chief. Shall I strike now?

MARK ANTONY

    Now, Eros.

EROS

    Why, there then: thus I do escape the sorrow
    Of Antony's death.

    Kills himself

MARK ANTONY

    Thrice-nobler than myself!
    Thou teachest me, O valiant Eros, what
    I should, and thou couldst not. My queen and Eros
    Have by their brave instruction got upon me
    A nobleness in record: but I will be
    A bridegroom in my death, and run into't
    As to a lover's bed. Come, then; and, Eros,
    Thy master dies thy scholar: to do thus

    Falling on his sword
    I learn'd of thee. How! not dead? not dead?
    The guard, ho! O, dispatch me!

    Enter DERCETAS and Guard

First Guard

    What's the noise?

MARK ANTONY

    I have done my work in, friends: O, make an end
    Of what I have begun.

Second Guard

    The star is fall'n.

First Guard

    And time is at his period.

All

    Alas, and woe!

MARK ANTONY

    Let him that loves me strike me dead.

First Guard

    Not I.

Second Guard

    Nor I.

Third Guard

    Nor any one.

    Exeunt Guard

DERCETAS

    Thy death and fortunes bid thy followers fly.
    This sword but shown to Caesar, with this tidings,
    Shall enter me with him.

    Enter DIOMEDES

DIOMEDES

    Where's Antony?

DERCETAS

    There, Diomed there.

DIOMEDES

    Lives he?
    Wilt thou not answer, man?

    Exit DERCETAS

MARK ANTONY

    Art thou there, Diomed? Draw thy sword, and give me
    Sufficing strokes for death.

DIOMEDES

    Most absolute lord,
    My mistress Cleopatra sent me to thee.

MARK ANTONY

    When did she send thee?

DIOMEDES

    Now, my lord.

MARK ANTONY

    Where is she?

DIOMEDES

    Lock'd in her monument. She had a prophesying fear
    Of what hath come to pass: for when she saw--
    Which never shall be found--you did suspect
    She had disposed with Caesar, and that your rage
    Would not be purged, she sent you word she was dead;
    But, fearing since how it might work, hath sent
    Me to proclaim the truth; and I am come,
    I dread, too late.

MARK ANTONY

    Too late, good Diomed: call my guard, I prithee.

DIOMEDES

    What, ho, the emperor's guard! The guard, what, ho!
    Come, your lord calls!

    Enter four or five of the Guard of MARK ANTONY

MARK ANTONY

    Bear me, good friends, where Cleopatra bides;
    'Tis the last service that I shall command you.

First Guard

    Woe, woe are we, sir, you may not live to wear
    All your true followers out.

All

    Most heavy day!

MARK ANTONY

    Nay, good my fellows, do not please sharp fate
    To grace it with your sorrows: bid that welcome
    Which comes to punish us, and we punish it
    Seeming to bear it lightly. Take me up:
    I have led you oft: carry me now, good friends,
    And have my thanks for all.

    Exeunt, bearing MARK ANTONY

SCENE XV. The same. A monument.

    Enter CLEOPATRA and her maids aloft, with CHARMIAN and IRAS

CLEOPATRA

    O Charmian, I will never go from hence.

CHARMIAN

    Be comforted, dear madam.

CLEOPATRA

    No, I will not:
    All strange and terrible events are welcome,
    But comforts we despise; our size of sorrow,
    Proportion'd to our cause, must be as great
    As that which makes it.

    Enter, below, DIOMEDES
    How now! is he dead?

DIOMEDES

    His death's upon him, but not dead.
    Look out o' the other side your monument;
    His guard have brought him thither.

    Enter, below, MARK ANTONY, borne by the Guard

CLEOPATRA

    O sun,
    Burn the great sphere thou movest in!
    darkling stand
    The varying shore o' the world. O Antony,
    Antony, Antony! Help, Charmian, help, Iras, help;
    Help, friends below; let's draw him hither.

MARK ANTONY

    Peace!
    Not Caesar's valour hath o'erthrown Antony,
    But Antony's hath triumph'd on itself.

CLEOPATRA

    So it should be, that none but Antony
    Should conquer Antony; but woe 'tis so!

MARK ANTONY

    I am dying, Egypt, dying; only
    I here importune death awhile, until
    Of many thousand kisses the poor last
    I lay up thy lips.

CLEOPATRA

    I dare not, dear,--
    Dear my lord, pardon,--I dare not,
    Lest I be taken: not the imperious show
    Of the full-fortuned Caesar ever shall
    Be brooch'd with me; if knife, drugs,
    serpents, have
    Edge, sting, or operation, I am safe:
    Your wife Octavia, with her modest eyes
    And still conclusion, shall acquire no honour
    Demuring upon me. But come, come, Antony,--
    Help me, my women,--we must draw thee up:
    Assist, good friends.

MARK ANTONY

    O, quick, or I am gone.

CLEOPATRA

    Here's sport indeed! How heavy weighs my lord!
    Our strength is all gone into heaviness,
    That makes the weight: had I great Juno's power,
    The strong-wing'd Mercury should fetch thee up,
    And set thee by Jove's side. Yet come a little,--
    Wishes were ever fools,--O, come, come, come;

    They heave MARK ANTONY aloft to CLEOPATRA
    And welcome, welcome! die where thou hast lived:
    Quicken with kissing: had my lips that power,
    Thus would I wear them out.

All

    A heavy sight!

MARK ANTONY

    I am dying, Egypt, dying:
    Give me some wine, and let me speak a little.

CLEOPATRA

    No, let me speak; and let me rail so high,
    That the false housewife Fortune break her wheel,
    Provoked by my offence.

MARK ANTONY

    One word, sweet queen:
    Of Caesar seek your honour, with your safety. O!

CLEOPATRA

    They do not go together.

MARK ANTONY

    Gentle, hear me:
    None about Caesar trust but Proculeius.

CLEOPATRA

    My resolution and my hands I'll trust;
    None about Caesar.

MARK ANTONY

    The miserable change now at my end
    Lament nor sorrow at; but please your thoughts
    In feeding them with those my former fortunes
    Wherein I lived, the greatest prince o' the world,
    The noblest; and do now not basely die,
    Not cowardly put off my helmet to
    My countryman,--a Roman by a Roman
    Valiantly vanquish'd. Now my spirit is going;
    I can no more.

CLEOPATRA

    Noblest of men, woo't die?
    Hast thou no care of me? shall I abide
    In this dull world, which in thy absence is
    No better than a sty? O, see, my women,

    MARK ANTONY dies
    The crown o' the earth doth melt. My lord!
    O, wither'd is the garland of the war,
    The soldier's pole is fall'n: young boys and girls
    Are level now with men; the odds is gone,
    And there is nothing left remarkable
    Beneath the visiting moon.

    Faints

CHARMIAN

    O, quietness, lady!

IRAS

    She is dead too, our sovereign.

CHARMIAN

    Lady!

IRAS

    Madam!

CHARMIAN

    O madam, madam, madam!

IRAS

    Royal Egypt, Empress!

CHARMIAN

    Peace, peace, Iras!

CLEOPATRA

    No more, but e'en a woman, and commanded
    By such poor passion as the maid that milks
    And does the meanest chares. It were for me
    To throw my sceptre at the injurious gods;
    To tell them that this world did equal theirs
    Till they had stol'n our jewel. All's but naught;
    Patience is scottish, and impatience does
    Become a dog that's mad: then is it sin
    To rush into the secret house of death,
    Ere death dare come to us? How do you, women?
    What, what! good cheer! Why, how now, Charmian!
    My noble girls! Ah, women, women, look,
    Our lamp is spent, it's out! Good sirs, take heart:
    We'll bury him; and then, what's brave,
    what's noble,
    Let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us. Come, away:
    This case of that huge spirit now is cold:
    Ah, women, women! come; we have no friend
    But resolution, and the briefest end.

    Exeunt; those above bearing off MARK ANTONY's body

Nessun commento: